Rescue is Coming...: Jesus in Blue Jeans        
 
           
         
     
     
       
     
     
       

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Jesus in Blue Jeans

I have recently bought the book "Jesus in Blue Jeans" by Laurie Beth Jones. I just started reading it this morning. Even though I just started it has really made a point in the first few sentences. The books starts off like this

One day when I was ten years old, i came home from school to discover that Harriet, my pet duck, had drowned. not only had she drowned, but she had done so in the backyard pond i had so lovingly prepared for her, my parents were as saddened and baffled by her death as I, so they summoned our vet to the scene. "was it homicide or a suicide.?" we asked, looking at the victim. "Neither." he replied, lifting up her small waterlogged body. "This duck did not groom herself properly. you see, ducks have to coat themselves with a special waterproofing oil that is produced beneath their wings. For some reason, she didn't, so when she started swimming, her feathers took on water, and she sank like a stone."
Just as ducks depend upon a unique oil that allow them to be "in" yet not "of" the water, we, too, need to cover ourselves with a grooming oil in order to be "in" yet not"of" the world. we need to daily cover ourselves with prayer, praise and poised reminders of who we are both to-and in-God.

This book is showing me so much. I never looked it as that we need to be in the world, but not of the world. And this is a great example as to what happens when you are in something and not of it. Another example that relates to me is school. I can be in my school. But I don't have to be of it. I can attend it, but only if i don't coat myself every day with the word of God, I can be dragged into the worldly stuff of our school. I could be dragged into the cursing, and drugs and other stuff.
Thanks for reading :)
Callie

I'm listening to:
Majesty (Here I am) by Delirious?

No comments: